We offer Su-Matic live tool repair services for all Su-Matic precision tools. Our repairs will typically cost 1/2, or less than 1/2 the price of a new live tool. Plus, we can upgrade the original non-sealed bearing design, to a sealed / shielded bearing design at all bearing locations. We keep bearings in stock for these live tools to allow us to keep pace with our repair volume. Lead-time can be as short as 2-3 days.
- Most live tools exceeding 0.001″ runout are due, or almost due, for a repair. 0.0008″ or less is the target runout for a live tool.
- Live tools like to rest as long as they cycle at full speed or maximum load. 5 minutes is a typical maximum run time followed by a 5 minute rest.
- 150 to 160F temperatures are common when running at full load.
- Disassembled and cleaned.
- Inspected dimensionally and visually.
- Quoted for repair.
- The spindles are assembled with new precision grade sealed / shielded bearings.
- If necessary, the spindle is ground to true the taper, and / or the bearing journals are plated and re-ground to proper bearing tolerance and total indicated runout.
- As required, the lower, middle and upper bearing housings may be bored, bushed, and reground to proper concentricity and dimensional tolerance.
- The spindles are re-assembled.
- The spindles are installed in the housing.
- The unit is run tested for 5-10 hours with testing of vibration, temperature, and noise levels
Why should you have your multi-spindle boring head, high speed right angle head, or other aggregate head, repaired by Ekstrom-Carlson?
- Lead-time: 1-2 Week average for multi-spindle heads, including tear down, inspection, quotation, and repair. 3-5 days for right angle heads and live tooling repairs.
- Price: Much lower price than the OEM, or the OEM distributor.
- USA repair: We repair the unit in Rockford, Illinois. It is not shipped overseas, as is often the case for various machines.
- Parts repair: Where possible, we will save money by repairing motor spindles and gear spindle shafts. Some manufacturer’s representatives will always quote a brand new unit if the unit drive shaft is damaged, or if the bearings require replacement. 75% of the time, we can save the original unit at less than 50% the cost of new.
- Sealed bearings when available and possible conversion to ceramic bearings.
- Free inspections.
- The condition of the machine before the rebuild along with accurately diagnosing any and all problems.
- Installing proper replacement parts including spindle grade bearings and parts with OEM tolerances that are known only to OEM’s such as Ekstrom-Carlson.
- Precision tolerance machinery and tooling including grinding, plating and balancing equipment.
- Experience and quality workmanship of the repair technician.
Live Tool Repair • Case Studies
Sumatic Live Tool
14800001750, s/n 27155, 6000rpm DR7001187 Angular contact bearing DR7001082 Angular contact bearing DR7001087 Angular contact bearing DR7000235 Angular contact bearing DR7000039 Bearing Cartridge Repair DR7000024 New bearing nut DR7000024 Misc. Seals / Grease / etc... DR7000041 Spindle Repair Labor And Assy Inspection Results: •The spindle journal diameters show no appreciable wear and are acceptable for proper bearing fits. •One of ... Read More
Su-Matic Adjustable Live Tool
LAU-15-ER20-1-J, 14826000150, s/n 29693, 6000rpm DR7001140 Angular contact bearing DR7002081 Angular contact bearing DR7001959 Angular contact bearing DR7000235 Angular contact bearing DR7000024 Misc. Seals / Grease / etc... DR7000041 Spindle Repair Labor And Assy Inspection Results: •The spindle journal diameters show no appreciable wear and are acceptable for proper bearing fits. •The bearing housing inner diameter meets design specifications and ... Read More