We offer Sandvik live tool repair services for all Sandvik precision tools. Our repairs will typically cost 1/2, or less than 1/2 the price of a new live tool. Plus, we can upgrade the original non-sealed bearing design, to a sealed / shielded bearing design at all bearing locations. We keep bearings in stock for these live tools to allow us to keep pace with our repair volume. Lead-time can be as short as 2-3 days.
- Most live tools exceeding 0.001″ runout are due, or almost due, for a repair. 0.0008″ or less is the target runout for a live tool.
- Live tools like to rest as long as they cycle at full speed or maximum load. 5 minutes is a typical maximum run time followed by a 5 minute rest.
- 150 to 160F temperatures are common when running at full load.
- Disassembled and cleaned.
- Inspected dimensionally and visually.
- Quoted for repair.
- The spindles are assembled with new precision grade sealed / shielded bearings.
- If necessary, the spindle is ground to true the taper, and / or the bearing journals are plated and re-ground to proper bearing tolerance and total indicated runout.
- As required, the lower, middle and upper bearing housings may be bored, bushed, and reground to proper concentricity and dimensional tolerance.
- The spindles are re-assembled.
- The spindles are installed in the housing.
- The unit is run tested for 5-10 hours with testing of vibration, temperature, and noise levels
Why should you have your multi-spindle boring head, high speed right angle head, or other aggregate head, repaired by Ekstrom-Carlson?
- Lead-time: 1-2 Week average for multi-spindle heads, including tear down, inspection, quotation, and repair. 3-5 days for right angle heads and live tooling repairs.
- Price: Much lower price than the OEM, or the OEM distributor.
- USA repair: We repair the unit in Rockford, Illinois. It is not shipped overseas, as is often the case for various machines.
- Parts repair: Where possible, we will save money by repairing motor spindles and gear spindle shafts. Some manufacturer’s representatives will always quote a brand new unit if the unit drive shaft is damaged, or if the bearings require replacement. 75% of the time, we can save the original unit at less than 50% the cost of new.
- Sealed bearings when available and possible conversion to ceramic bearings.
- Free inspections.
- The condition of the machine before the rebuild along with accurately diagnosing any and all problems.
- Installing proper replacement parts including spindle grade bearings and parts with OEM tolerances that are known only to OEM’s such as Ekstrom-Carlson.
- Precision tolerance machinery and tooling including grinding, plating and balancing equipment.
- Experience and quality workmanship of the repair technician.
Live Tool Repair • Case Studies
C5-RC1-LU25-040014, 31545 DR7000024 Misc. Seals / Grease / etc... DR7000041 Spindle Repair Labor And Assy Inspection Results: No issues were found. We will clean and re-grease the unit. The unit will be assembled and tested.
OK-L25-ER40-A, #7088, 3000rpm DR7001493 Angular contact bearing R202118 Angular contact bearing DR7001070 Angular contact bearing DR7001375 Needle roller bearing DR7000024 Misc. Seals / Grease / etc... DR7000041 Spindle Repair Labor And Assy Inspection Results: The spindle journal diameters show no appreciable wear and are acceptable for proper bearing fits. The bearing housing inner diameter meets design specifications and shows no appreciable wear. ... Read More
Sandvik Live Tool Repair
OK-LB15-ER32-D, s/n 5269, 4500rpm DR7001011 Angular contact bearing DR7001575 Deep groove bearing DR7001108 Deep groove bearing DR7001375 Needle roller bearing DR7001854M Plate & Grind Journal - Manual spindle motor or live tool DR7000024 Misc. Seals / Grease / etc... DR7000041 Spindle Repair Labor And Assy Inspection Results: •The upper spindle journal diameter is worn and undersized. We recommend plating and ... Read More
Sandvik Linear Live Tool
OK-LT10-ER20-S, 7177, 6000rpm DR7000110 Angular contact bearing DR7001284 Needle roller bearing DR7001854M Plate & Grind Journal - Manual spindle motor or live tool DR7000024 Misc. Seals / Grease / etc... DR7000041 Spindle Repair Labor And Assy Inspection Results: •The upper journal is worn. We recommend plating and grinding this area. •The bearing housing inner diameter meets design specifications and shows no appreciable ... Read More